420 Stainless Steel Sheet/Plate
Type 420 Stainless Steel, also known as “surgical steel”, is an often used high-carbon martensitic stainless steel. It is similar to Type 410, but has more strength and hardness. It can be hardened through heat treatment, which brings good ductility for metal fabricators as well as excellent polishability.
It resists corrosion in fresh water, alkalis, air, foods, crude oil, gasoline, and mild acids. Type 420 Stainless Steel is very tough and can be difficult to weld in its annealed or hardened/tempered condition. However, it is easily machined in its annealed state
- Range : 0.5 mm To 200 mm thick in 1000 mm TO 2500 mm width & 2500 mm to 12500 mm Length available with NACE MR 01-75.
- Types : Sheet, Plates, Coils, Flat, Strips, Profile, Blank ,Circle, Ring etc.
- Form : Plate, Chequered Plate.
- Finish : 2B, 2D, BA NO(8), SATIN (Met with Plastic Coated), Hot rolled plate (HR) Cold rolled sheet (CR)
- Value added services : Cutting, Bending, Forging, Rolling, Heat Treatment, Minor Fabrication
Alloy 420 can be hardened by cold working and by heat treating. Please refer to Ulbrich Technical Services Department for more information. Alloy 420 is capable of being heat treated to a hardness of HRC 51 minimum.
|Tempering Temperature (°C)||Tensile Strength (MPa)||Yield Strength0.2% Proof (MPa)||Elongation (% in 50mm)||Hardness Brinell (HB)||Impact Charpy V (J)|
(* Annealed tensile properties are typical for Condition A of ASTM A276; annealed hardness is the specified maximum.
# Tempering of this steel should be avoided in the range 425-600°C)
- Knife blades
- Surgical instruments
- Needle valves
- Shear blades