301 Stainless Steel Sheet/Plate:
Type 301 is an austenitic stainless steel with a nominal composition of 17 percent chromium and 7 percent nickel, which provides good strength and ductility when cold worked. It also has excellent corrosion resistance properties. 301 is well suited to welding and forming and drawing. This high strength grade of steel is available in several conditions or tempers. United Performance Metals also supplies 301 in its Full Hard, 1/2 Hard and 1/4 Hard conditions.
High strength and excellent corrosion resistance make Type 301 Stainless Steel useful for a wide variety of applications. Typical uses include:
- aircraft structural parts
- trailer bodies
- architectural and automotive rim
- variety of industrial applications.
- Good resistance in applications involving external exposure to mildly corrosive conditions at ambient temperatures.
- Resists outdoor, industrial, marine, and mild chemical environments
- susceptible to carbide precipitation during welding, which restricts its use in some applications
- Similar to resistance of Stainless Steel grade 304
- Can be exposed continuously without appreciable scaling to a max of 1600°F(871°C).
- Maximum exposure temperature is about 1450°F (788°C), for intermittent exposure
- Has an oxidation weight gain of 10mg/cm 2 in 1,000 hours, in temperatures over 1600°F (871°C).
301 Physical Properties:
- Melting Range: 2250-2950°F (1399-1421°C)
- Density: 0.2850 lb/in 3 (7.88g/cm 3
- Specific Gravity: 8.03
- Modulus of Elasticity in Tension: 28·10 6 psi (193 GPa) *
301 Chemical Composition:
|Element||Percent by Weight
Type 301 ANN
|Chromium||16.00 – 18.00|
|Nickel||6.000 – 8.000|
Yield Strength 0.2%
Elongation -% in 50 mm (min.)
|301 Full Hard||185||140||9|